I’m so excited to share my project for the Snow Day Project Party! Snow Day fabrics – designed by Mathew Boudreaux of Mister Domestic for Art Gallery Fabrics – are a perfect combination of tranquil colors and fun prints. The mittens, mugs, and children playing remind me of some of the best parts of winter. The beautiful greens, blues, and greys in the color palate for this line make it such a soothing combination when combined into any project.
I chose to make the Ayora Jacket by Pauline Alice Sewing Patterns. The construction of this jacket is a bit different than most in that the bodice of the jacket is cut on the fold, in one piece. I sewed and quilted large panels for the bodice, sleeves, and pockets. I used a random HST layout for the bodice, a slightly more intentional HST layout for the sleeves, and my absolute favorite print for the pockets – Winter Frost.
I used my bust and waist measurements, combined with the finished garment measurements, to settle on the size 38. I am 5’1″, 34″ bust and 30″ waist. I was between sizes, but the finished measurements of the 38 sounded like they would be just right. I decided to eliminate the facing and finished my jacket with a contrasting bias binding instead. I cut about two inches off the height of the pocket so it would align with my midsection and not my top section.
Finally, I used french seams to finish the seams. I sewed the seam allowances wrong sides together with a quarter inch seam, and encased the raw edges by folding each seams right sides together and sewed another quarter inch seam. The nicely finished inside seams make this jacket reversible, which is exciting.
I added a quilt block surprise to the lining, and finished it with Art Gallery Fabrics denim in Afternoon Sail. I can’t wait to wash this jacket a few times, as Art Gallery Fabrics denim gets softer and cozier with every wash. My other favorite details on this jacket are the ombre flying geese on the sleeves and the contrasting binding in Cuddled Up from Snow Day.
I’ve got lots of little projects planned for my scraps from this project. Keep an eye out for more Snow Day in the coming weeks, as this party is packed with talented makers who have lots to share with you.
Snow Day Project Party Participants
- Monday January 11th: Jocelyn Gonzales of Flying Goose Studio
- Tuesday January 12th: Florence Taylor of @ftmom3
- Wednesday January 13th: Heather Butler of Stay Little Sewing
- Thursday January 14th: Leanne Parsons of Devoted Quilter Designs
- Friday January 15th: Lisa Hamann of @sew.peace.full
- Monday January 18th: Isabelle Selak of South Bay Bella
- Tuesday January 19th: Laura Strickland of Orange Blossom Quilt DS
- Wednesday January 20th: Tara Curtis of Wefty Needle
- Thursday January 21st: Michael Gardner of Daddy Dressed Me
- Friday January 22nd: Heather Long of Coffee and Quilts
- Monday January 25th: Jerry Roth of @jerryberry84
- Tuesday January 26th: Faith St Juliette of Faith St Jules
- Wednesday January 27th: Kristina Cole of @Read.stitch.love
- Thursday January 28th: Bobbie Gentili of Geeky Bobbin
- Friday January 29th: Kimberley Arnold of Griffin and the Bear
- Monday February 1st: Cecilia Sullivan of Cecivas Creations
- Tuesday February 2nd: Monica Tetteh of Thats Sew Monica
- Wednesday February 3rd: Christina Johnson of Such a Pretty Fabric
- Thursday February 4th: Kenzy Hogan of Sewing Corals
- Friday February 5th: Kim Barnett of Maggie Magpie Studio