Today is my stop for the Catch & Release Project Party and I’m so excited to share my make with you!
Mathew of Mister Domestic recently released his third fabric line with Art Gallery Fabrics, and it is such a beautiful line. Mathew has a talent for designing fabrics that appeal to a wide audience – each line includes something for everyone. Some of his fabrics are beautifully layered prints with rich colors and delicate shapes. Others are striking in their simplicity – two color, geometric prints that are great for background or binding.
Catch & Release was inspired by days Mathew spent with his family at their favorite local fishing spot.
I had fun brainstorming what to make for this project party. The prints are perfect for so many things – bags, quilts, toys, garments…the list goes on. I love to challenge myself to try new, sort of unexpected projects here and there. I thought, how fun would it be to create an umbrella with any print or design you choose?! The answer – super fun, and relatively simple.
I knew I wanted to make one umbrella with a single print. I chose to use Blue Bank Flora for that one. I made another umbrella with a horizontal stripe pattern using River Rules along the bottom, Reflectors in the center, and Rowing on the top.
I purchased two umbrellas, with the intention of using the frame as the base of my project. I took the umbrellas apart, careful to save the canopy for use as my pattern.
I’m so glad I chose Blue Bank Flora for one of my umbrellas. The rich colors and gorgeous field of wildflowers make it the perfect all over print for a project like this. The dark fabric will provide cooling shade on sunny days, and will be lovely protection from the rain in the coming winter.
The horizontal stripe pattern on my second umbrella was enhanced by the saturated hues of River Rules along the bottom edge of the canopy, and the geometric lines in Reflectors that creates the stripe across the center. The octagon of Rowing on top is the perfect focal point to tie it all together.
I hope you enjoyed hearing about my adventures in DIY umbrella creation with Catch & Release fabrics. Be sure to check out the other makers at the party. So many inspiring projects have been shared, and there are many yet to come!
- Monday August 19: Laura Piland of Slice of Pi Quilts – IG: @sliceofpiquilts
- Tuesday August 20: Sarah Overton of My Crowded Nest – IG: @mycrowdednest
- Wednesday August 21: Kristina Cole of Read.Stitch.Love – IG: @Read.Stitch.Love
- Thursday August 22: Jennifer Monroe of Sunshine Selvage – IG: SunshineSelvage
- Friday August 23: Jen Strauser of Dizzy Quilter – IG: DizzyQuilter
- Saturday August 24: Kaitie Logsdon of Ginger Lemon Quilts – IG: GingerLemonQuilts
- Monday August 26: Maria Schneider of IG: @Madame_Tailor
- Tuesday August 27: Jackson Cook of IG: @House_of_Jackson
- Wednesday August 28: Anne Boundy of Said With Love – IG: @said_with_love
- Thursday August 29: Heather Butler of IG: @StayLittleSewing
- Saturday August 31: Cecilia Sullivan of IG: @CeciVas
- Monday September 2: Jackie Dudek & Amanda Gehl of Catalina Home Grown – IG: @CatalinaHomeGrown
- Tuesday September 3: Elizabeth Gilmartin of Bitter Candy Design – IG: @BitterCandyDesign
- Thursday September 5: Geeky Bobbin of Geeky Bobbin – IG: @GeekyBobbin
- Friday September 6: Vickie Zaleski of Crocheting Vixen – IG: @CrochetingVixen
- Saturday September 7: Christina Johnson of IG: @SuchaPrettyFabric
- Monday September 9: Kimie Tanner & Missy Winona of On Williams Street – IG @OnWilliamsStreet
- Tuesday September 10: Jocelyn Gonzales of MGJBTX Quilts – IG: @mgjbtx_quilts
- Wednesday September 11: Jerry Roodt of IG: @JerryBerry84
- Thursday September 12: Kim Barnett of IG: @MaggieMagPieStudio
- Friday September 13: Kayleigh Jackson of IG: @JenniferJacksonDolls
- Saturday September 14: Michelle Tucker of IG: @SewDemented
- Monday September 16: Isabelle Selak of South Bay Bella – IG: @SouthBayBella
- Tuesday September 17: Heather Long of Coffee and Quilts – IG: @coffee_and_quilts
- Wednesday September 18: Stacey Held of IG: @TwoTerriersStudio
- Thursday September 19: Vanessa Behymer of Vintage Barn Girl – IG @VintageBarnGirl
- Friday September 20: Heidi Lyon of IG: @BessaBooStudio
- Saturday September 21: Maja Wlusek of Bety I Piernaty – IG: @betyipiernaty
- Tuesday September 24: Donna M of XOX Sew – IG: @xoxsew
- Wednesday September 25: Lisa Hamann of IG: @Sew.Peace.Full
- Thursday September 26: Kenzy Hogan of IG: @SewingCorals
- Friday September 27: Leanne Parsons of Devoted Quilter – IG: @DevotedQuilter
6 thoughts on “Catch & Release Project Party”
That is so pretty! But, how did you make it?
I bought an umbrella with a removable tip up at the top. I clipped all the little spots where they used tacking stitches to hold the fabric onto the frame. I used a piece from the store made canopy as my pattern template and cut out my fabrics. I sewed them together, then sewed the completed canopy back onto the frame in the same way the store bought canopy had been. And done!
How did you waterproof it?
I haven’t yet. I’m working on that next step this week. I’ll post about it once I have it figured out. Hopefully early next week.
OMG. I am dead. These are incredible. I hope you don’t mind copy cats, who give credit for inspiration, of course.
Thank you! Copy this project to your hearts content! 😊 Can’t wait to see yours.